January 3, 2013

What I Read in 2012 (with Pie Charts! and Bar Graphs!)

All right, if you're not a big dork like me, you may find this post a little boring. But I love statistics and graphs and such... and I've been keeping an elaborate spreadsheet of the books I read, so I have all kind of charts for you!

My goal was to read at least 25% nonfiction. Sadly, that didn't happen. Only about 14% was.



I wanted to read more male authors than I did in 2011. I did accomplish that goal, in spite of reading 14 books by Deborah Crombie, which skewed things a bit.



As for genres, as I discovered in my Best of 2012 post, I stick to mostly mystery and kid/YA. Those 3 together make up more than 2/3 of what I read last year!


And now, for the SUPER nerdy stats. Here's the breakdown on what format I read books in. As you can see, I haven't joined the ebook revolution. But I did get a lot of advance reader copies for review (from Shelf Awareness mostly), and I did listen to 41 audiobooks! (Which is my secret for how I read 150 books last year.)


And, last but not least, here's where I got the books.


This makes me think maybe I should purge some more. Because realistically, if only 20% of what I read are books I own, then I probably don't need to own 1200-odd books. Although, I guess I technically "own" a few of the ones I classified as "downloads", because I bought them on Audible, so it's maybe a bit higher than 20%.

I read the equivalent of 53,964 pages (I looked up page numbers online for the ones I listened to), which averages to 359 pages a book. That surprised me - since I read a lot of kid books, which are often shorter.

I averaged 3.8 (out of 5) for everything I read. There were a fair number of 4 and 5 stars, but only four 2 stars - The Book of Lost Things, Grace for the Good Girl, Mission to Paris, and The Paris Wife - and only one 1 star - The Old Man and the Sea.

And there you have it, my uber-geeky look back at 2012! Stay tuned for my 2013 goals.


Do you track your reading? 
 Did you make pie charts?